If Christianity is so peaceful and only looking out for everyone

Why are there so many venom-filled Christians running around? I'm sure we'll get the same tired old "we're not perfect" line, but this is not occasional slips and minor transgressions. There are some of you who threaten violence and spew hate every day. So how is it someone can read the same book and come out so filled with hate, yet still be a Christian and get the same get out of jail free card as Mother Theresa or MLK?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NP I think we're on the same wavelength today. I've been wondering this myself. My theory is this; I think that what a PP said about them being false prophets is essentially true. I think these people are being used by Satan or whatever to bring an end to Christianity. What better way to drive people away from it then to have Christ's "followers" do it?! These people are pushing people farther and father away from Christianity. Some may know what they're doing and others are just sheep who are being lead down the wrong path. Anyway, these hate filled "Christians" are being taught by some very evil people. It's sad because it makes the work of true Christians that much more difficult. More non-Christians would be willing to at least listen to Christians (not necessarily convert), if those hateful Christians would just be quiet.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• oh don't bring mlk in here he was a black's right activist not even comparable to mother theresa

idk how some ppl can be so rude but i don't think they're "real" christians
    Anonymous

• Those type of "christians" do not get a get out of jail free card. Those type will be dealt with but not necessarily here on earth. The so called Christians you are describing are not really Christian at all IMO.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Because the venom filled ones are the "false prophets" so to speak. After all the Bible simply said to go out and spread the word, not go out and condemn others for not believing as you do.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I like what mamakirs said and I agree with that. I think that the people who do things like you are talking about are just trying to hide behind the Christian label in a pathetic attempt to make their vile words seem justified and like they're serving a greater purpose than to just make someone feel bad. But all they really succeed in doing is making themselves look bad, and making the religion of Christianity look bad, which is a shame because the true followers are usually really nice people.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• First you need to remember that the Bible says that many will be called by his name but few are actually his. I can call myself a horse but does that mean I am one. By no means I am a woman and God made me just the way I am. The same with being called a Christian. There are those that are hate filled and I don't believe that they are Christians as God would have us be. Instead they are donkeys mascarading as Christians.

You also state that Christianity is peaceful and looking out for everyone. That's not correct. If you read the Bible you will find that Christianity can be one of the most violent religions around. It states in many places in the Bible where man was totally destroyed. In Revelations it also states that those who are with God will go with Him to Heaven while the others will be condemed to the eternal flames. That's no exactly peaceful. Yes we try to live peaceful lives but it's not a peaceful religion.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• That is a good question and as a Christian I often ask myself the same question - why do I act so hateful at times or why is my husband cursing at me so much? The answer is we also have evil in this world. Chritians call it "spiritual warfare". Followers of God are targeted the most. By this I mean Satan knows who we are and pick on us the most. He can get into our heads and encourage us to be hateful people - we all need to pray to keep the evil one out of our lives.
    Anonymous

• Christian is a label. Not everyone who assigns it to themselves embodies what it means. This is like saying everyone that calls themselves a Democrat is a x, y and z. It's also not reserved for just Christianity. Every religion and organization has it's share of quacks that make the rest of the group look bad.

You assume there's some magic "get of jail free card." Personally, not having been at the "pearly gates" with another human being (let alone myself) I can't say it's quite that simple.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The so called Christians you are describing are not really Christian at all IMO.

No, I get that. I'm more curious about why there are SO many of them. That doesn't happen spontaneously. It has to be taught, and for as common as it is, it has to be taught frequently to a lot of people. So where exactly is that coming from?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• First you need to remember that the Bible says that many will be called by his name but few are actually his.

Because the venom filled ones are the "false prophets" so to speak. After all the Bible simply said to go out and spread the word, not go out and condemn others for not believing as you do.

i agree with both ladies. alot of people dont follow the bible as they should, its hard to but we have to try. we're told to follow Jesus' footsteps closely, hard task but some poeple dont even want to try.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009