Sewing machine for around $100 ?

I want to learn how to sew, but don't have much money for a sewing machine. This will be my Christmas present from dh : )

I have seen several @ target & walmart for $70-$120. I would like to sew children's clothes and things like curtains & pillows. Eventually I would love to learn how to quilt. Any suggestions for one?

WvPhotobug

Asked by WvPhotobug at 1:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• craigslist
    Anonymous

• Find your local repair shop...they usually have one or two rebuilts hanging around...the ones here to atleast---but ya craigslist or get the Joanns papers---they have 40% coupons off a reg price item, check to make sure machines are included though im not sure if they are.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• What you might at Walmart, Target, etc are what I would consider throwaway machines. If they break it's hard to get them repaired and usually cost more then you paid for them. Instead find a sewing machine shop that repairs them. They might have one that wasn't picked up that they would sell at the cost of repairs. You'll also get better quality and someone who stands behind what they sell. They can also answer any questions you may have about the machine & any problems that you may have. It's well worth it to pay $200 for something that will last.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have a walmart $80 Brother sewing machine. I have had it for 4 years now and it is still going strong. It's not the best thing out there, but I think it is a good starter machine. I have made tons of things on mine. Everything from Pillows to baby carriers.

Devory

Answer by Devory at 5:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009