Baby's first vaccine today :(

My son is 2 months old and is getting his first vaccine today. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me as to how to make this experience as less traumatic as possible for him...

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are breastfeeding this worked for me - I nursed my dd right up until it was time for her shot and then put her right back on my breast after she got them. I read that b/fing releases endorfins for baby and can help relieve pain...it really did seem to calm her down! good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• give him some tylenol before you go then love on him afterwards, my lo had his last week and he cried for a few seconds then was okay b/c i picked him up and loved on him GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's not always as bad as you think it will be. My daughter got her first vaccines at 13 months (we delay) and so she was really aware of what was happening. She cried for all of 2 minutes. Nursing helps... if you can nurse him right after that will make him feel loads better.

My daughter's 16 months now and she just got a flu shot. Didn't even notice. No tears, not even a blink. Don't worry too much about it, he'll be fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I once read a study that said giving tylenol before the vaccine reduces the amount of antibodies made. I will post a link if I can find it. They said it was better to wait and see if a fever developed before giving a dose of tylenol.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 1:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Here is a link to an article about the study.

http://www.healthnews.com/family-health/child-health/vaccines-acetaminophen-should-they-be-given-together-3772.html
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 1:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009