Has anyone had the arguement about Whole milk and 2% milk's nutrition?

I keep having to have the arguement about this with my husband and my MIL. They both say the 2% is watered down and has less nutrients than whole milk. I have shown them both that 2% actually has More vitamines than whole milk but they still keep argueing with me and have for the last 7 years. Has anyone else had this same debate with someone?

27yomomof4

Asked by 27yomomof4 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• nope, i decide what kind of milk we get and noone argues about it lol dh knows better ;)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Not really an argument. I drink skim and my FIL drinks whole milk. He tells me all the time I'm drinking colored water, but I like it better and I KNOW it has the same nutritional value - all they take out is the fat!

Answer by missanc at 1:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The "watered down" argument is just dumb, IMO. Do they know how milk is either skimmed of the excess fat or homogenized? The reason lowfat and skim milk you buy has more vitamins added is that the naturally occuring A&D vitamins in whole milk are fat-soluble and some are lost when the milkfat is removed, so maybe they just don't realize that the end result you buy in a jug from the store has the same nutritional value with fewer calories and less fat & cholesterol. I think you're probably going to have to have them talk to a registered dietician or just drop the argument all together.
    Anonymous

• We drink fat free. They are just being stupid, seriously.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• there is no difference except the amount of fat. babies need the fat for proper brain development
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• nope. we drink water. we don't have any baby cows at our house

Answer by rkoloms at 1:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• oh gah here goes rkoloms starting shit again noone asked you if you have calves
    Anonymous

• i cant stand whole milk kills me when a drink has that much fat....lol rkoloms, my dd likes soy and so do I but although we arent cows i love cereal with milk!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i buy a half gallon of each. My oldest and i love skim milk, my bf of 7 yrs likes whole milk and i know its better for my toddler to have the fat.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The nutrients are the same in any kind of milk, there is just less fat in some types. I can NOT stand whole milk, to me it is like chewing. Too thick. If I drink milk it is skim milk. A toddler does not need to drink whole milk to get the fat they need, they can get it from eating cheese and other dairy products. There are many toddlers, kids and adults that can't drink milk and get all the fat and nurtrients that they need.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009