Why does my dog eat his own poop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because he's a dog. What to hear something extra gross? They actually make something that you can give your dog that will make his poop taste too bad to eat....WTHeck? How do you make crap taste any worse? LOL! My friend had a dog that ate her poop, vomited it up and the ate the vomited poop!!!! UGH!!!!!!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 1:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Eww! I know someone whose dog did that and the pet rescue people called him a recycler. Gross!
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It can point to a nutrition issue sometimes, like how children may try eating a lot of paper if they are lacking something. (At least my mom told me that about kids lol) Anyway I do know you should call your vet just in case, but most likely it's just a dog being, well, a dog.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It can either be a habit or what is called coprophagy. I have been looking into this myself lately. Like the first poster said they actually make stuff that you put on the food so that it makes the poop taste bad and they won't want to eat it anymore. I don't think it is very expensive. You can either get it from your vet or you may be able to find it at your local pet store. My vet offers what is called For-bid and after using it for 6 days it is supposed to stop the habit no matter how long the dog has been doing it. hth. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Because you don't clean up fast enough for him, and he likes his yard clean. Well that is what mine does. Don't you just hate fighting the dog for the right to put poop in the trash. The most fun of my day is locking her in the house so I can clean up the yard in peace.
    Anonymous

• I dont know but thank gd my dog doesn't do that!!! He just eats his vomit.. which he does at least once a day. .He's a hyper one.. pukes from being overexcited. We're getting some calming tablets for him to try and solve the problem.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ya---had one that did. He liked going into the catbox for kitty roca too.
    The vet can give you something to make the poop taste nasty to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2009