Does anyone else start to freak out if your child oversleeps or takes an extra long nap?

When DS was younger my insides would scream SIDS anytime he slept later than normal......He is still napping and we are going on the 2 1/2 hour mark......I think this is his longest nap ever since he's been about two months old........Do you start to freak, too? Or do you just do the "happy dance" in your living room at the extra quiet time?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 1:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Whats a nap? IF any of mine would bother to take one it usually was from sheer exhaustion.LOL
    3 children all under 5 -they seemed to keep each other going until they sat still too long-like in the highchair eating.. I have tons of pictures of their snoozes until I got them into their beds. And the swing..Sweet pictures. But anyhow if yours even takes a nap recharge your batteries -forget what others say. If you still feel the nap is too long just check on them and sneak back out. If they however do not go to bed on time later that day-the nap probably was too long. Every child is different and enjoy them! sigh...they grow up way too fast.....
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• When my children were babies I would freak out and check to see if they were breathing, but now I don't. I don't have the energy to do a happy dance, but if I did, I definitely would:)
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Nap? What is a nap? lol. Naps never last long enough around here to need to worry, My 7 month MIGHT sleep 15 minutes during the day.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes I would sneak into their room and stare at them until I could see them breathing! Usually that is of the nap lasted longer then 2 hours because they usually sleep an hour max, then bounce back up and are ready to roll again.
    Anonymous

• once i make sure he's still breathing, i get happy. but i do have to make sure he's breathing first
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If she's sleeping for like... 4 hours.. then I'll turn on the video monitor and stare at it intently to make sure she's breathing. But usually I just let her go. When she was younger I'd nap at at the same time and I'd always be mad when I got woken up, I'm just a sleeper so I really enjoy these times when she's passed out. She's a lot like me tho.. she'll sleep 14 hours at night and still take a 3 hour nap during the day.. I hope the next one is as good!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• YES!
    Happy2bMom09

Answer by Happy2bMom09 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• He's still sleeping!!!!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I totally do. Even now, and she just turned two. I also still have to check on her before she goes down for the night and move all blankets away from her face, turn her head so it's not facing the mattress, and all that. Even though she's big enough now to realize she's suffocating and turn her own head. haha. Glad I'm not the only one.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes - my 11 month old usually takes a 2 hour nap in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon, but yesterday he took his morning nap as usual and then in the afternoon he had been sleeping for 3 hours when I finally couldn't stand it and snuck in his room to see him!

Answer by missanc at 2:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009