i was just reading about the gifted nephew...

how about the other spectrum.my daughter isnt getting it this yr.she has an iep.i dont think she has passed one test this yr.i always hear my child is gifted my child is gifted but what about the other end of the spectrum.i have no idea what to do with my daughter.she is in the 5th grade and not making it.we have a conference this thursday...i tell you i am lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you thought about a private tutor? If you can't afford that, then ask her teacher if she knows of anywhere you can take her for some one on one help - our elem school has afterschool tutors free of charge if you sign up. If she has an IEP, you should be able to put in some helps like extended time on tests, or a separate test taking area depending on what exactly the problem is.

Answer by missanc at 2:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yeah I agree... With your daughter having an IEP, call for an ARD and tell them based on her current needs, they need to add in things like extra time for tests, reduced answers on multiple choice questions, shortened exams, maybe even oral exams.....

And I am not saying this to be mean... but AFTER your daughter gets the help she needs to be back where she needs to be, don't let her become dependent on her IEP... try to slowly back her out of all the extra help that she gets. I had many students that needed the help when they were in elementary school or middle school but had gotten so dependent on it that by the time they got to high school they were just lazy. They had the mentality of why do it like everyone else, when I can do less.

Not saying this will happen, but it does in some instances.

But focus on everything you can to help your daughter get it. I recently went to a meeting on a disorder my daughter
    BigMama1077

Answer by BigMama1077 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• has and they said in certain subjects she may struggle with more than others... they said to not hold her back until we tried other options... they said to even have her moved to another classroom where another teacher might just have a different teaching style and it could make a world of difference.

Good luck!
    BigMama1077

Answer by BigMama1077 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If your daughter has an IEP, there should be specific goals in place to help your daughter succeed. There should be things in place that state, where and how she takes a test. Is she in a quiet room? Does she get more time? Does someone read her the questions and she writes the answers down? There should be something in there that states about extra academic help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• my son has an IEP and part of his state that he can have tests read to him and he can give the answers verbably and whoever is assissting him with the test writes the answers down exactly as he said it. this helps him focus on the test more and focus more on the answers than the writing. maybe something like this would help your daughter

and as for all the "my child is gifted" your reading/hearing, one most parents like to think their child is the next einstin, second, just because your child is doing poorly in school, does not mean she's not gifted. my son needs help with his tests, or he fails his classes, but his IQ is 120, and i bet yor daughter's is very high too
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• my mom works with children who have IEPs, learning disabilities, adhd, bd, etc etc. I think the best thing you can do for your child right now is to get her tested. The people you're having a conference with can get your more info on that and I think maybe do some tests. If you can figure out or even rule out the typical things that can cause a difficulty learning (including a vision test, depending on the situation), you'll have a better idea of how to handle it. And being gifted is not the same as smart. It means you think in a more creative way, are generally more alert to your surroundings, and have a stronger sense of justice amoung other things. I had a 130 in second grade, was labeled as gifted and trust me, it didn't help me at all with trig in high school! I was just an intelligent (read-not the smartest) kid. Don't give up your child, there are still many options left.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2009