My daughter breaks out when she has milk...???

My daughter is one year old. She breaks out into a red rash when she drinks milk. Could this be a sign of allergic reaction? Should I stop giving her milk?

HilWeirick

Asked by HilWeirick at 2:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, she is definitely allergic. (My son gets hives if just a drop of milk touches his skin, so I have experience in this area.) You can take her to the doctor and have blood tests done to confirm, if you want. You should eliminate all dairy from her diet (milk, cheese, yogurt, cream, butter, casein, and the ever-present-on-food-labels "sodium caseinate", and whey...are the top ones I can think of). If she does not have a severe allergy, some dairy products (like butter, or casein in a processed food) won't elicit a reaction you can see, but it will promote the allergy - every time someone who is allergic to something is exposed to it they become more allergic to it. If you cut it out altogether, it is very likely she will outgrow the allergy, 80% of kids outgrow around age 5. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. And good luck! It's difficult to figure out the diet at first, but it gets easier.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 5:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, you should stop giving the milk. Simple cause and effect...sounds like she can't handle it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Stop giving her the milk and call her doctor.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Eliminate dairy. She doesn't need it (unless she is a baby cow); she only needs to drink water. Here is a great article on building healthy bones without dairy

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html 

Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Is this the first time she has had cows milk? Are you transitioning her from formula or breast milk? While it sounds like she is allergic to milk and maybe other dairy products as well, it isn't necessarily that. I'd wait a couple weeks and try the milk again or the milk mixed with formula or breast milk. It never hurts to ask your Dr and if she is allergic to cows milk there are other options like soy milk, goats milk, etc.
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 2:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes. Try giving her goats milk instead.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009