We have to get the yellow fever shot. Is it best to go w/ the dead virus or the alive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Travel

• I didn't know you had a choice? I would think the dead one would be better. The live virus, though weakened can still give you the disease.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Are you going somewhere in Africa? I have been to 3 countries in the west and loved it!!! Where are you going?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Why don't you do your own research?
    Sometimes the live virus might have fewer other toxins and the dead virus may have more. Based on brand, dosage and quality.
    Look it up for yourself and decide what you are willing to inject yourself (and presumably your children?) with.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have only heard of the vaccine using the live virus. My hubby is military and that is what he got. He had absolutely no reaction from it. If you have a child under 9 months, they do not recommend vaccinating against yellow fever, nor do they recommend travelling to a country with endemic yellow fever. If you would like reliable information on the vaccine, here is the website I would go to:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5117a1.htm

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Check with a clinic that specialized in travel medicine.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• We had live when we went to Africa.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009