How would you have finished this conversation with a 4YO...

My 4.5 yo daughter asked me if they cut your belly open to get a baby out, I said yes, sometimes they do, then she asked if that is how she came out and I said no..... how would you have finished that answer? Curious if I did ok...I'll let you know what I said after I get some answers, don't want to taint your responses with mine...

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 2:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• But they DON"T 'come out of where you go to the bathroom'....unless you are build unusually. They pass through the vagina. While it may be a bit uncomfortable of a conversation, she has the parts, she might as well learn the names for them and what they are for since she is asking about them and wants to know. (my opinion of course...yes, I did it with mine when they asked at about the same age...3-4yo)
    akaren

Answer by akaren at 2:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• well my dd is 3 and i told her she and baby brother came out of my belly i don't want to tell her they both came from mommy's "tootie" lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, I've been getting away with that, but this time she specifically asked HOW babies get out of a mommy's belly. She first asked if you threw them up out your mouth, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I told my daughter that babies come out of where you go to the bathroom, but they cut her out of my belly because she was upside down. She was happy she didn't come out of where she was supposed to because she thought that was "gross".
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i would have said they come out of the special baby hole. that's what i told my 4yo son and he said oh ok. lol i'm glad he didn't want to see where it was lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• When my daughter was 2 we were visiting her aunt who was having her 3rd son in less than 3 years and she told me "Aunt Steffy's gonna peepee out her baby soon" I never even had to explain.
    When she turned 3 she was sitting on the potty and said "Mommy when you're 3 you got a lot of questions." I said "ok what's your question?" To which she replied " When you peepeed me out of your bagina did it hurt real bad?" To which I replied "you have no idea" lol
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 3:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• She specifically asked you how babies come out, you need to tell her. IF a child is asking, then they are ready to know the answers. Just explain that babies come out of mommy's private area. I got away with the "surgery" answer until my son was in 6th grade and he learned otherwise in the halls of school--what he learned was wrong so we had a talk. I had a c-section so that is what he thought all women did. At school, he was told that babies come out of buttholes. That had to be clarified quickly. I really believe that if a child is asking, they are ready to know, just make it age appropriate or better yet, developmentally appropriate. Some younger kids understand more than others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ok, I feel better, I just came right out and told her she came out of my vagina (that's the word we use), I held my breath waiting for her response but she just started giggling, so then we started joking around that it was like having a big baby poop out of your vagina (anything with the word poop in it makes her hysterical). I was glad to tell her the truth and it seemed to be enough information for her at the moment...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I simply told my 5 year old son that we would talk about it when he was a bit older.
    Anonymous

• I'd either say you came out of my vagina or out of my birth canal. :)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2009