how much does a dog cost a year?

how much does a small indoor dog cost a year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well I will tell you how much my indoor dog costs but he's not exactly "small" he weighs between 50 and 60lbs.

We buy a LARGE bag of dog food every 2 weeks. This costs us roughly $15 every two weeks but I am sure you could get by a lot longer with a 20lb bag of dry food than we do, but we do buy a cheaper brand of dog food. This is approx $400 /year

He has to have a yearly rabies shot that costs us $9.

The vet trims his nails for $8 (this needs done every couple months) so approx $50 per year.

City registration was $10 per year (I think)

The dog will need water but not a noticeable difference in a water bill so I won't include it.

So the minimum our dog costs us a year is $469. Now if you get a dog that needs grooming and you don't/can't do it yourself that will add up quickly. Also we buy our own wormer and give that ourselves but we still have to buy heartworm medicine at the vet. (cont)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The wormer cost $5 a bottle and we do a preventative treatment every six months BUT puppies need it every 3 months. The vet will do this to for a small fee, you could do a deworm and nail trim at the vet just to keep it routine. Dogs also need to be treated heartworm and this is especially true as they get older. I can't really tell you how often because our vet keeps track for us and I think it depends on where you live as well due to mosquitoes and other factors.

Then there is the "start up" costs leash, collar/harness, food dishes, kennel/crate. This can get expensive kind of quickly if you aren't careful.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Not a terrible amount, but DO spend money on QUALITY food. Cheap food just makes them poop more and the improper nutrition will cause you to have bigger vet bills.

I reccomend Blue Buffalo and Nutro brands from the pet store.

Studies now show that shots only need to be given every three years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2009