How do I get my 14 month old to eat??

My 14 month old son is still breastfeeding (both our choice) he loves it. Anyways, he wont eat solids sometimes. So far he pretty much only likes scrambled eggs, yogurt, icecream, the inside of french fries I dont give him the fried part, gerber puffs and yogurt puffs, green beans, chicken noodle soup over crackers, sweet potatoes and thats about it.

Its so frustrating,.... sometimes he eats TONS and then sometimes he will not eat what so ever.

He's a healthy boy. 25lbs and 32 inches long. He nurses on demand.

I just don't know how to get him to try more things. He has issues with textures and chewing harder things so I don't force him afraid of choking..

....So any ideas would be great :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is actually totally normal. Most kids go through a stage where only certain foods will do. My daughter is two and is the same way. The most you can do at this age is encourage them to TRY new foods by offering them, but if they dont' take it, don't try and force them. Just keep offering and eventually he may give it a try. The good thing is, he sounds as though most of what he eats is relatively healthy. Also, when it comes to toddlers, you should pay more attention to what they eat during a whole week rather than by the day. Most young kids have days where they dont' want to eat and we wonder how they stay alive...and the next day it seems as though their appetites can't be satisfied. Totally normal and fine. If he's eating veggies during the week, protein, calcium, iron, etc... ur doing fine. If you are worried though, you could consider a vitamin or some of those nutritional shakes...but he sounds good to me.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• he isw a baby, he will eat tons during grown and little during the others. I would only offer healthy foods though. You listed alot of carb heavy foods and no fruites and little veggies. Basicly you listed a great start to becoming obese or a diabetic. EVen the inside of the french fries are soaked in oil. Offer bananas, avacados, eggs, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, steamed veggies, diced up chicken. Food may be a battle now, but it will be a bigger battle in 2 years if you don't change what your putting into his body, and if you don't then your setting him up for a lifetime of consiquences. He may not be happy with the change, but I can bet that he will thank you when he is older.

Not trying to be mean, just how I am, I say it the way it is, cuz chances are its what you need to hear the most.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• dont fret, my son went through a stage where he would only eat french fries for a week then the next he only wanted carrots.......kids are silly when it comes to eating, just wait him out mama...try offering new foods as u eat them he may be more likely to try them that way.......
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 3:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Wow. Daughteroftruth......
    That was totally uncalled for
    Anonymous

• lol.. what the truth is totally uncalled for?... yeah.. reality check, perhaps you should look up how many children in america are overweight. Our children will eat what we give them. What we give them now sets a base for their eating patters for the rest of life. Either we choose to make those good choices now when they are little or they will eventually pay for it one way or the other in the future. Perhaps when its 5 and we decide that we want our families to be healthier.. or perhaps its when they are in their teens struggling with peer presure and eating disorders, or perhaps is when they are in their 50 haveing a heart attack.

I don't sugar coat things. Never said she was a bad mom. I don't know a single mom out there that hasn't struggled with this lesson. But truth is often the best medicine. Would you rather hear the truth now, or in 30 years when your child is diagnosed with diabeties?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• and to the op... I have a huge list of healthy friendly easy to make and cheep finger foods if you are interested. Don't worry about how much he is eating, its normal. (as long as he is not dropping weight or has any changes in personality)
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009