How to unclog a drain?

My kitchen sink is full of water after attempting to use my garbage disposal to get rid of cooked noodles. Everything I disposed came up on the other side of the sink, and I had to get s bubket to get rid of all the water and food( disgusting, I know). Now if I turn on the sink, it fill with water again. What do I do. I am wondering if there is something I can do BEFORE I call a plumber. Thanks.

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• There is a bend in the pipes under your sink and I bet the noodles are stuck in the bend. I think there is "trap" of some sort that will allow you to clean the bend out -- but I've always left that "pleasant" task to my DH.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• That elbow under the sink unscrews on both ends. You can easily enscrew it and empty it out, just have a bucket are a large bowel under the pipe because the stuff that is backed up will pour out. Also have old towels ready to clean up the mess.
    Put it back on the same way you took it off. GL
    Anonymous

• unscrew..............opps, lol
    Anonymous

• Drano?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• DH and I use a plunger on one side and plug up the second side with a stopper. Works everytime.
    Anonymous

• yuck. I've had to do this before. Clean out your trap ( the elbow looking pipe) and then pour baking soda down your drain followed by vinegar. let that sit for a few minutes, flush it all down with boiling water.

cheaper than drano, and less chemical, so better all around for your sink.
    MamaFen

Answer by MamaFen at 9:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• thanks for the info on the trap! Cleaned it out and it worked perfectly!
    MomofDom21

Answer by MomofDom21 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009