Bad behavior at school?

My older DS is one of the youngest in his class. It's true. ...he turns 5 next month. But at home, he's showing me that he is academically ready for Kindergarten. He is in Kindergarten but today he got suspended for biting another child. ...He does not bite at home.
How do i handle this? Right now he's upstairs waiting for me to decide on a discipline. I really don't know what would be an appropriate discipline for this, other then being grounded for the rest of today, and tomorrow too because he's suspended.
I know that I will be starting a more effective positive reinforcement (sticker chart) for days when he does well in school. But I can't just let this slid. He gets in trouble a lot, and I think the teacher (who is an excellent teacher) is worried about my sons self image if this behavior continues.
I don't know what to do.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your son may be academically ready for Kindergarten but he may not be social ready for Kindergarten and that is just as important to academic success. Where are you that your child can start Kindergarten before he turns 5? In Wisconsin, if the child isn't 5 before September 1, they can't start until the following year. It sounds like he isn't socially ready and needs a little more time in preschool or a Pre-K program. Set up a meeting with the teacher and discuss what she thinks can be done to help him succeed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• In California a child can start school if they turn 5 before December 12th or something such as that.

He is special needs. He has CP and is a drug baby (i did not give birth to this child). He has already had 2 years of preschool plus child care before that. I do not believe that preschool is going to help him any more then it already has.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009