Bad behavior at school? (Also posted in school aged)

My older DS is one of the youngest in his class. It's true. ...he turns 5 next month. But at home, he's showing me that he is academically ready for Kindergarten. He is in Kindergarten but today he got suspended for biting another child. ...He does not bite at home.
How do i handle this? Right now he's upstairs waiting for me to decide on a discipline. I really don't know what would be an appropriate discipline for this, other then being grounded for the rest of today, and tomorrow too because he's suspended.
I know that I will be starting a more effective positive reinforcement (sticker chart) for days when he does well in school. But I can't just let this slid. He gets in trouble a lot, and I think the teacher (who is an excellent teacher) is worried about my sons self image if this behavior continues.
I don't know what to do.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You know, the fact that he gets in trouble a lot tells me that he might be academically ready, but not socially ready yet. I'd consider taking him out of school and trying again next year.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• maybe a Christian school?more discipline and structure needed?
    Anonymous

• as an american parent i think we have the "dont feel bad for anything" mind set,but i believe children make mistakes and its ok to make them and let them know that they are allowed to not be perfect, but! this is NOT! one of them,its never ok to act in this way,i would ground him and shame him, tell him your calling his grand parents to let them know what he has done,then make him say sorry to the other kid.have him call their house and say sorry to the parents,is this over doing it ,yes! but theres no other way to let him know that this is one of the things he needs to be sorry and ashamed for.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he is academically ready, but not mentally or emotionally ready.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Okay. He is special needs. He has a mild case of CP. he's a drug baby too. (i did NOT give birth to this child. No bashing).
    He has ALWAYS had issues in school. I do not believe for one minute that one more year in preschool is going to help him.

In california a child can start school if they turn 5 before December 11th or some stupid date.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with he previous poster, that maybe although he is academically ready, he may not be emotionally or socially ready for school at his young age. I have heard this is common for boys. Has he had time in preschool or daycare situations before he started school? As far as disipline, I would say do what you are doing - make sure he knows it is wrong and that you are not pleased with his behavior, and start a reward program for reinforcing the days when he does well in school If the bad behavior continues, you may consider taking him out of school and trying again next year, because he just might not be ready. Also, you don't want him disrupting the learning of other students.
    Mama_McD

Answer by Mama_McD at 3:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• He has had PLENTY of previous school experience. Hence the reason why i say that he's ALWAYS had problems in school. We're talking getting kicked out of daycare for hitting and kicking the teachers. He's come a long way from that.
    How is taking him out of school for this year going to help teach him social skills? We can't afford to put him in preschool for a THIRD year and we don't qualify for any state benefits.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Boys tend to be far more aggressive and unless that aggression is constructively channeled, they will misbehave destructively. My son was also a kicker and biter. I bought him a punching bag, boxing gloves, jack in the box, and wrestling figures. I also had him exercising with me. I can't say this stopped his destructiveness, but definitely toned and slowed it down considerably.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2009