Is it safe to be around someone who has been exposed to swine flu?

So a lady is coming from the other store to help out a few shifts. The thing is her managers kids have H1N1 virus and they have been working together for weeks now. I am not so thrilled about her coming to our store after she's been exposed.I'm worried that even though their workers haven't been sick themselves doesn't mean they can't transfer the virus!

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Health

• I actually worked with two people who both had children with the virus. I didn't get it and one actually had it herself. I didn't get it from either woman.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's not as contagious as the media is making it out to be. Don't worry about it. It's no big deal really, not even as bad as the normal flu, and if for some reason you do get it, you will at least be able to stop worrying about getting it.
    Swingkid511

Answer by Swingkid511 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Your best bet is to stay about 6 ft away from her. A physician of infections diseases for the CDC came to my kid's daycare yesterday and gave a talk all about it. She said the safest bet is to stay 6 ft. away from anyone who might have it. The #1 way it is transmitted is through sneezing, boogers, or spit flying through the air and getting in your mouth/nose/eye. My 6 mos. old had it and Dh and I had very mild cases, but we still went to work. I didn't infect anyone else. The highest hit age range is 5-18 and all my co-workers are much older (in their 50's). But, you may get infected, be contagious but not have any bad symptoms.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, a person can spread any illness after exposure and not have the illness themselves. That is why it is so important to wash hands, cover coughs and sneezes with the inside of the elbow. Use hand sanitizer.

To the people that think it isn't spreading as bad as the media is letting on. You are wrong. Atleast 86 kids have died from H1N1 since spring and over 50 of those have been since the end of August. In Wisconsin 5+ school districts, not schools, but entire districts have closed because of H1N1 outbreaks. If that isn't spreading a lot, I want to know what your idea of not spreading bad is. Those hardest hit are schoolage kids that are otherwise healthy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009