How do I clean a fish tank?

We bought a 1 gallon fish tank for my son and bought him a beta fish. Well I noticed that the tank is starting to look a little dirty. How do I clean it? Do I clean the rocks? What do I clean it all with? HELP!!!! lol

mominbolt

Asked by mominbolt at 4:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pets

• scoop the fish out in a plastic cup with the tank water in it....strain the rocks...use hot water and rinse them until the look clean---to clean the sides I use a wet paper towel and until the stuff comes off...then refill with room temp water and add the de-chlorianting (sp?) liquid and replace the fish---i dont use any chemicals or cleaning products to clean with...my bettas tank gets changed about once every 2wks...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have a small 1 gallon sponge bob tank for my son. I take the fish out into a plastic cup with some original tank h2o. then i dump ou thte water and clean everything (sides of tank filter and rocks)with a fish tank only sponge and reg dish soap. The rocks I put in a collinder and scrub with sponge MAKE SURE TO RINSE EVERYTHING OFF WELL. I made that mistake and the first set of fish didn't make it. We had only had the fish (goldfish) a week so my son thankfully didn't notice the change. Depending on where you live you need to put in water additive to remove I think its chlorine( its been a while since aI bought a bottle) the pet store should have told you about it. I think it's called chlor out . I hope this helps I've had Larry Mo and French fry almost 3 years in the same tank. Good luck P.s. to keep the tank cleaner longer dont overfeed
    Forlyn2550

Answer by Forlyn2550 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Tank Cleaning - How Do I Clean a Dirty Fish Tank?

Cleaning even a very dirty aquarium isn't all that hard when you know what to do. Here are the tools you'll need, and instructions for making your tank look ...
    freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/faq0110.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• How to Clean a Fish Tank | eHow.com

Jun 21, 2007 ... Gently transfer fish to the holding container using a fish net. ... on 8/5/2009 ...sorry, the Tips and Warnings section is fine, but the step by ...
    www.ehow.com/how_2043455_clean-fish-tank.html -
    vbruno

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Just be sure you don't use any chemicals or anything. They will kill your fish!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 10:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2009