Pro Lifers, is there ever any excuse for abortion?

Or do your blanket judgments really cover everybody and every situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People can make an excuse for anything - it's the American way of life. But no, there isn't a GOOD excuse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• what about incest? or factors that may kill both mother and child? i'd say that's a decent excuse.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I am pro-life and I understand those who may want an abortion when it comes to rape and incest and I think that it should be available to those. And I understand the need for medical reasons. But what I do not understand and do not tolerate is those who use abortion as a birth control method. I feel it is a cop out from responsibility. And I feel it should not be readily available to those who use it as such. If it is going to be done it should be done within the first 3 months of pregnancy unless there are severe medical complications later on and it is either the death of the mother or the death of the child or both. LATE TERM and PARTIAL BIRTH should not be done PERIOD!!!!!
    Anonymous

Does ripping a baby out of the womb magically make the trauma of rape disappear? Are only women who get pregnant from rape traumatized at all? Abort or not, the woman is still going to have serious emotional scarring. Why make the baby suffer for it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• NP, you didn't answer regarding factors that may kill both mother and child.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Only if it is really to save a mothers life. She can't just have a headache. If she and the baby are going to die anyway save one of them. Other than that I cannot see why a person would have one. I was the product of a rape and incest. My mother was brutally raped by her brother and I was the result. So my bio father is my uncle too. My mom did not keep me she gave me the gift of life. She did not take the cowards way out and murder me. I have met her she is an amazing woman. I don't share often people mostly prochoicers don't seem to think my life is all that valuable and my mom should not have carried me and should have ended my life. I am not a burden I am not a choice. I am a woman who pro choicers want dead. I am here only because my mom was strong and not weak minded only thinking of herself. She was a real mom and gave me life and gave me to a wonderful family that loved me. My mom loved me. I love her.
    Anonymous

• rape incest or if the mothers life is in jeopardy.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I wanted to say to the Anon :00 You mother is obviously a very strong courageous women and deserves to be acknowledged for the brave selfless thing she did. But I wanted to say the reason I put rape is not because I do not believe your life was not worth being saved, but because I would never want to tell a women she HAD to keep a child out of that horrible incident. I think that is something that a woman should have a say in. I would be afraid for those who were forced to keep the child doing home abortions or killing them selves.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

Honestly, it's an idea that gets thrown around far more than it exists. Do we abort if someone is prone to high blood pressure? Diabetes? Should everyone with a heart condition automatically abort? How about everyone who gets pregnant under 18? The younger/smaller/less developed the mother, the more likely they are to die. And yet, millions of women who fall into one or more of those categories have babies every day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i don't believe there is any good excuse for abortion.. even in really weird cases like incest or rape... those babies can be put up for adoption.
    Craftymomof3

Answer by Craftymomof3 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2009