Jaw pain

Since I've been pregnant, there have been a few times where one side of my jaw hurts. I don't think it's happened more than 5 times, there's no clicking, just a pressure kind of and it hurts to open my mouth. It's not my wisdom teeth, 'cause I got those removed 5 years ago...I have an OB appointment this evening, so I was going to bring it up, but I just figured I'd ask you ladies. Anyone ever deal with that?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 4:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• This is going to sound strange, but it didn't happen until I was preggers with my little girl. I had the beginings of a cavity in one of my molars. I also had a sinus infection on the same side, but didn't notice because I was stuffy or anything. The combination of the two actually made my face feel like it would explode around the third month. The Dr. said it could have started out as just an allergy or something, but the full blown infection with the cavity is what made the pain so bad. The first two months or so, my jaw got stiff a few times, I thought I had slept funny or that I was having some TMJ issues like when I was young. Talk to your Dr. and go see your dentist, just to be on the safe side. Make sure it isn't something that will come back to make you cry in a few months. lol
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 4:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Could be as simple as your jaw being out of place - a simple chiropractor visit, perfectly safe (and recommended) in pregnancy, could help. But, it could also be a tooth issue - pregnancy is not good to teeth! It could also be a bit of a sinus infection or ear infection. I'd make a visit to the dentist to rule out any tooth problems, then a chiro visit - even if it is a sinus or ear infection, they can help with that too - I know mine does!
    Anonymous