If your not getting the flu shot for your child, what are you doing to prevent it?

If your not getting the flu shot for your child, what are you going to do to prevent it? Are you giving them vitamins? If so, what vitamins? What foods are you feeding them to help fight it (IE: Orange juice)?
This is my son's first year of school and I'm not sure if I want to get him the flu shot. I'm not getting the H1N1 by any means. We DO vaccinate however.

tiffanyderr10

Asked by tiffanyderr10 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Health

• We are focusing on prevention.
    My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose.
    It is a virus! You catch a virus by coming in contact with it This is why handwashing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to vaccinate your child(ren), I strongly urge you to have your doctor's office order the single dose, preservative free vaccine.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We do vaccinate...just not the flu vaccine---my daugters practice good handwashing and general good hygeine(that doesnt look right but you get it :))---I dont change their diets or give them extra vitamins---Neither have ever gotten the flu---IMO I think there is a lot of overkill as far as bacteria and viruses go---the body needs to be exposed @ small amounts in order to build an immunity to it.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Handwashing is the biggy. But other than that, having a stock of antibacterial wipes (the kind that aren't cleanser so you don't have to wash afterwards) in the car and the purse to wipe down grocery carts and other things the kids touch outside the house, plus having some right inside our front door for when we get home from somewhere. And vitamins - A, B, C, E, and Zinc are the biggies for boosting immune system responses. You can get mulit-vitamins with all those. We are also limiting the "get togethers" for the holidays - my DH's family isn't too happy with us over that, but I couldn't really care less - my son doesn't get the flu or a few other vaccines, so we are going to be very, very careful about unnecessary human contact.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 4:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Using common sense~ frequent handwashing, coughing/sneezing in your elbow or a tissue and then throwing the tissue out, staying home if you feel ill.
    Anonymous

• I haven't decided yet about the flu vaccines (H1N1 and regular). But, we will definitely be doing a lot of handwashing, sanitizing, vitamins and sleep. I am trying to think of a good way to place a cannister of antibacterial Wet Ones by the door (they come in through the garage) and enforce the "wipe your hands with these and throw them in the trashcan here" before entering idea!

Parenting.com (www.parenting.com) has an article "30+ Ways to Outsmart the Flu" article. Check it out!
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 7:47 AM on Oct. 21, 2009