Posthumous Baptisims & LDS

Do you feel the Church of Latter Day Saints (and any other sects who may do this as well) have a right to baptize those who are already deceased? Does it not seem disrespectful to anyone but me??

So say your great-great-great-great grandfather was Jewish and now you are a member of the LDS church; you can go and put his name on a list to be baptized so that (in their mind) he can be saved & you can be reunited in the afterlife.

I think that is incredibly presumptious of people!! I would be so offended I think I would rise from the dead and haunt my decendants if they tried such a thing! (lol kidding)

But seriously; I find this incredibly rude; offensive; arrogant; ... IDK I could come up with names all day; just plain ass wrong.

What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• This was asked about a week or two back. If I remember correctly the consensus was that while the people might have had the best of intentions for the deceased by baptizing them posthumous, it IS considered disrespectful to do so against the wishes of the deceased or the family of the deceased.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Darn really? Sorry - I guess I'll do a search for it; thx
    Anonymous

• I don't remember seeing this one, but I would think it would be disrespectful to the deceased.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I really don't care about it. When I'm dead I am dead. If it makes them feel better to do whatever they do in my name, then so be it. It's not going to hurt me any! There are tons of things people do in the name of religion that I feel is worse. I'd rather the LDS church baptize someone in my name after I am dead, then spend all their time telling me I am going to hell because I am not part of their group, when I am still alive -- like many other Christian groups do.
    jm14879

Answer by jm14879 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• jm14879: They aren't doing it in your name; a decendant of yours can request that you be baptized into the LDS church anytime after your death; 100 days or 100 years; doesn't matter...
    Anonymous

• lol anon I don't know where you heard that but I have spoke with Mormon friends about it before and what they do is baptize a person using your name. They don't unbury you (or whatever to do it) someone else is baptized in your name
    jm14879

Answer by jm14879 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Hey no one can tell anyone for sure what happens when you die. At least they are doing something that they feel is helping people once they have passed rather than damning them to hell. Like someone else said, I'd rather they do what they do after I'm dead rather then harassing me when I am alive and bad mouthing my existence

Anonymous

• jm14879: I also spoke at great length about this subject with a Mormon friend and that is exactly what she said -- No of course they are not 'exhuming' a grave lol; but they ARE baptizing the deceased not someone currently living simply in your name...what happens is a living person is used to take the "place" of the deceased; yet they are intending to baptize YOU.
    Anonymous

• "Hey no one can tell anyone for sure what happens when you die. At least they are doing something that they feel is helping people once they have passed rather than damning them to hell. Like someone else said, I'd rather they do what they do after I'm dead rather then harassing me when I am alive and bad mouthing my existence"

But what if you are Jewish or Muslim and believe that should this happen you would no longer be welcome in your faiths view of paradise???? Why isn't that an issue??
    Anonymous