Someone please help!

My 11 monmth old has been sick with a flu for over a week, & it isnt seeming to get better. He only drank 12 oz of fluids yesterday & 6 oz today. He refuses to eat solids. He crys all day long. I took him into the doc on Friday, just to get sent home. He will not eat popsicles, use a cool cloth, or take a bath. All I have is baby Tylenol, & no money. Please if you have any suggestions. His doctors office is closed today so I cannot call a nurse.

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 4:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Head to the ER.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yeah I would have to agree if he is not getting his fluids it will only make it worse, so get him to the ER. Good luck and I hope he feels better!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Ditto. Go to the ER
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Buy some pedialyte and give him several drops every 10 minutes or so to keep him hydrated. Your doctor needs to know that he is refusing fluids. Make sure you keep track of how many wet diapers he has and notate any loss of tear production or saliva. Any signs of dehydration need to be brought to a doctor's attention ASAP, even if it is not your own pediatrician.

BTW, pedialyte is relatively inexpensive. It is better than water alone.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• First, go to the hospital, he is probably dehydrated too. When it comes to the health of your child, don't worry about money. Are you on any assistance or have someone who can borrow you $20 to buy some pedialyte & motrin?
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 5:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• what symptoms? as far as fluids, its pretty tramatic to do an iv on an 11 mo old. get a medicine dropper squirt a dropper full in teh back of her mouth ever 15 min. if she is on formula then do formula, breast milk then breast milk. If you can't afford pedialite, find a dollar and go get some gatorade and mix it 50/50 with water. a warm bath will probably help her feel better. There really isn't much the er will do for youother then giver her motrion and send her home. IF you push they may do an IV to replenish fluids, but at the same time, it would be easier on both of you to just squirt liquid in her mouth ever 15 min.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree take him to the ER.
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 11:37 AM on Oct. 21, 2009