To those who are Pro-Choice

With all of the abortion talk going on today, for those who feel so strongly about choice, here is my question. If the woman has a right to choose whether or not she wants to be a mother, should not the man have the right to choose whether or not if he wants to be a father, if she so chooses to keep the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think so. My husband got a girl pregnant in HS. He wanted to keep the child. He even told her to have it and sign over all rights to him and she'd never have to pay support or anything. Instead she had an abortion. That has haunted him throughout his entire life. He would have loved that child no matter what.

I do not believe the woman has a right to terminate pregnancy without the fathers consent unless there is some extreme medical condition that makes it clear the woman will be endangering her own life. That is a very rare circumstance though.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• He made his choice when he slept with her :)

Anonymous

• Both sides should have the choice, yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Not unless that fetus depends on his blood supply for life. There's no avoiding the double standard here. A pregnancy will affect the woman one way or another. Either she will put herself though a pregnancy and birth and become a mother, or she will put herself through an abortion. Because the pregnancy is going on in her body, it isn't his choice. He has say in what goes on inside his body only, not hers.
    Anonymous

• So if one says abort and the other says no who wins?
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think so.

If a man has made it perfectly clear before the pregnancy happens, and at the time that the pregnancy is confirmed, he should have the full right to sign away his parental rights, legal rights, and all legal (including financial) responsibilities to that child. Once that's done though, it's done, no re-do's...

Too many men are treating children that they didn't want , because they are legally being forced to be responsible for that child.

If a woman has the right to choose whether or not she wan'ts to be a mother. Then yes I do think a man should have the right to choose whether or not he wants to be a father.
    Anonymous

• Yes, but it is arguable that he made that decision when he had sex with the woman. Of course, she too was making a conscious decision to do the same. It is very hard to answer fairly, it is easy to see it from both sides.
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 5:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• ya so he has his choice---leave and never see the baby or stay and be a father. i got pregnant and my boyfriend wanted me to get an abortion i didnt want to I wanted to be a mother so he left me, big deal I am with my husband now and he loves my son like its his own. my ex has NOTHING to do with the baby and so be it!
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• OP HERE-----Maybe I should clarify, after the baby is born, shouldn't he have the right to walk away from that baby just because SHE chose to have it. It is a part of him, is it not. It is not fair for him to have to suffer the loss of a child if he wanted the baby and she had an abortion. Or it is not fair if he doesn't want the baby and now he is financially responsible for it cause she decided to keep it. Shouldn't he have the right to sign away his rights if he so choose and not be liable for child support?

Anonymous

• He has a choice.
    To use a condom or not.

Can you imagine how much the abortion rate would skyrocket if all a man had to say was "Sorry, you deal with it", and not have to take responsibility? Or how high the number of single parent families on welfare would be?
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009