I feel bad about this

My SO's mother is trying desparately to get a job and when people call her in for an interview, she wants me to talk to them because she doesn't know very well English. I know it doesn't look so great when you have someone else speaking for you when it comes to getting a job. What would you do?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Um not do it? Get her into a class that teaches English, then help her find a job.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound like you know "very well English" either..

Either A. Basically lie and pretend to be her. Or B. Tell her she needs to deal with it because it is unprofessional.

Or, I guess option C would be teaching her a bit more English, because if she can't speak English where is she going to get a job??
    Anonymous

• I would just tell her that broken English is better than having someone speak for her. She will have to speak for herself in interview and on the job so she has to show them that she can do it enough to get by.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• she could write up a paper explaining her position. but if she cant speak english well wouldnt it be hard for her to hold a job unless she works in a place with mainly popluated with ppl who speak her lang
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 5:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't do it for her. If she needs to speak English for the job, you're not doing her any favors.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Excuse me anon #1, I didn't ask for rude comments. If it bothers you that much, stay out.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with you Pnukey. I feel really bad about the situation. My SO will freak if I don't do it...*sigh*
    LaurenKaye29

• Talking for her won't do her any favors, if she gets hired, her employer will find out she can't speak english very well and could be considered lying to get employment. What kind of jobs is she applying for?
    Anonymous

• Ok OP ANON #1 here, I wasn't being rude, just answering the question with my opinion. If you don't like the answer don't ask a question.
    Anonymous

• If you can, I would help her to improve her English. School districts often have adult ed classes or towns might have classes to help imigrants; I would see if your library has Rosetta Stone for English.

Talking for her won't help her.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009