Is this a disorder? I need help this is ruining my life.

Here's the deal: Socially I'm fine, privately I'm fine, publicly I'm fine - BUT over the last 4 years I've progressively gotten worse.
I cannot check the mail and I cannot pay my bills. Even getting online to look at my bank account causes my heart to start pounding, my hands sweat and I get breathless and nervous and my blood pressure will shoot up (and that's putting it mildly).
I won't even go to the mailbox; if someone else in the house doesn't go fetch the mail, it sits in the box for weeks at a time, filling up till sometimes the postman returns it to the post office and leaves a note.
I can know I have the money in the bank but I still won't pay a single bill until I'm forced to.
I don't understand this at all and I need help, but I have no clue where to start; does this thing have a name? I can talk about finances, but I can't deal with doing them. I've even got so upset trying that I throw up sometimes. Help??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Health

• This is an anxiety disorder. Please get to your doc ASAP.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• In the meantime....put your bills on auto-pay as much as possible. That way you don't need to deal with it.

I sympathize...I do have weeks where I am afraid to look at our bank balance, especially since DH is out of work.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• its prob a bit of procrastionation it sounds like to me. it sounds like u have to keep putting it off and off? until u absolutely have to pay it. maybe u feel keeping all possibly money in the bank your fine and safe. but paying it off u dont feel safe with less money in the bank . im not sure but its not healthy. i get very scared if the money looks low but u have to live life hun its not healthy. so i would call a therapist.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 5:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• you should see someone. Call dr for a recommendation, ask a friend for a recomendation or just call out of the phone bill. Ask if they deal with phobias and anxiety and it will get you in the right direction. No reason to live like this, their is help out there!! it will make life easier if you just go and deal with it even though it is hard too in the long run life will be easier.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Sounds like a bad case of anxiety disorder, go have yourself checked out.

Answer by older at 5:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2009