How should I start potty training my son?

I need a few good tips for introducing him to the potty, my son is 19 months old~

LoveNeverFails

Asked by LoveNeverFails at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 2 and he's almost completely potty trained. I'm no longer buying diapers and yes I'm thrilled about it. We bought him his own potty shortly after his first potty (a little one) and a seat for the big potty as well and we just kept it introduced - if he wanted to play with it, sit on it, etc. we let him. We always let him in the bathroom with us and let him know what we're doing and ask if he would like try etc. After awhile he was more interested and we started asking if he NEEDED to go potty and again if he sat on it we told him good job and when he did anything on it we praised him up and down. We pushed it a bit but not so much that he was ever forced and then one day - WHAM he was pooping on the potty (yeah he was pooping on the potty before he was peeing - I know that's backwards but he did) and he's been in training pants ever since. It's been about 4 weeks now and he's doing very well. So just keep it introduced, keep trying, and keep it POSITIVE!!!!
    MsSooz

Answer by MsSooz at 12:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I havn't gotten to the potty training stage yet because she's only 13 months but before she gets in the bathtub i always put her on the toliet so she can get used too it.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 1:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Check his "readiness" signs. Babycenter.com has a good list and most "how-to" books have lists too.

If he's ready, go slow. If you are trying to get him out of diapers before a baby arrives or in time for some other event, it probably won't work. If you go at his pace and don't force him you'll have better luck.

Remember, only about half of all children are ready to tackle this huge learning task before 2 1/2 years old. That means that the other half aren't ready until after that age. Does that mean it's too early for your little guy? No - only you can determine if he's ready now or not.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• We are starting potty training too. I went to the library and checked out some kid's books about potties to read to my son.
    Liz_24

Answer by Liz_24 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Does he show sign he is ready? he is pulling off his diaper, he hates being in a wet diaper even it is just a little.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2008