My two year old acts like a zombie!

My two year old seems very confused, "out of it" and upset, every time he wakes up, and it lasts for several minutes. From naps or in the morning. He's always been this way - the way infants wake up crying, he never stopped that. He has a toddler bed and could get up and play when he wakes up, but just sits up in bed and bawls, and even if I try to go to him and pick him up, half the time he stumbles away from me and walks around like a zombie, crying, for five to ten minutes after waking up. He seems confused, like he doesn't know where he is. Is this the least bit normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he isn't really awake yet.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 5:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Sounds normal to me. My nephew did that as a LO too. My sister would just let him come out of his room when he was ready. He would usually cry and be upset for about 10 minutes and then he would act normal.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• sounds like my husband. lol... its normal. eventually he will grow out of it. I hate waking up to... I allways feel groggy and grumpy no matter how well I slept.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Mine use to (and still does if he is woke up) act really fussy when he first woke up; he just wasn't all the way awake. He would also stay in bed instead of get up himself. He will be 4 in jan. and doesn't do it any more, unless he is woke up or he's woke up in the middle of the night completely out of it needing to pee, just talking nonsense and crying...I would say your boy is fine he's just half out of it; I haven't ever heard of anyone having problems and the symptoms were what he is doing. Basically what I'm saying is that in my opinion he's fine, but it's jmo.
    Anonymous

• sounds like a night terror. they can actually happen at anytime someone is asleep. google it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• my son would get like this, but he'd actually be out of it and crabby for up to 2 hours after waking, he was/is also less active or talkative after his naps... his dad wakes up really crabby and groggy if he naps too . I have to think its the same
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• OP - lightPhoenix, I know what night terrors are, and this doesn't seem to be that. Like I said, it is every time he wakes up - and my brother had night terrors and this isn't anything like that. My brother would be clawing at the walls and screaming during his terrors. DS doesn't seem to be afraid, just confused as all hell and wandering. I guess my instinct is telling me he is sleepwalking, but it seems so odd that it is EVERY TIME he wakes up. I walked in my sleep at his age, but only every once in a while.
    Anonymous