First Grade Focus

I had a parent teacher conference today and my son's teacher said he is doing average, but one of his problems is that he cannot make himself stop and focus. I really really don't want to go down the medicine route. Does anyone have any ideas that I can do to help him focus better at school? Thanks.

jll1484

Asked by jll1484 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask his teacher and school counselor for ideas. Tell them that you are concerned and you feel like you need to explore other methods before going down the medication path. If things don't improve after you've exhausted everything you and his school can think of don't rule out meds. I was so strongly opposed to meds that I kept trying things for years before taking my child to the doctor - it was making our whole family miserable. We ended up using meds and I felt really guilty for waiting so long to get help.
    Anonymous

• I've done lots of research on inattentive ADD because my son suffers from this condition. I'm not saying all or any of these things worked for us, but here are some things you could try:

Good breakfast with plenty of protein
    Caffeine drink with breakfast
    Omega 3 Supplement
    A wristwatch that is programmed to vibrate periodically and reminds the child to concentrate
    Ask the teacher to provide "physical" reminders to focus and pay attention instead of "verbal". This is as simple as the teacher placing their hand on you son's shoulder which might help bring him back on task.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 6:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• a big breakfast with lots of protein helps with the thinking.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have to say I don't agree with the caffeine drink with breakfast. Caffeine is actually a drug and it's addictive. I prefer plenty of good solid sleep as caffeine makes you very awake but not necessarily focused.

We're in the throes of this with our son and it's been difficult... he has a tendency to not focus on things that are of no interest to him, and to hyperfocus on things that he loves (think: the building is on fire and burning down around him while he watches The Universe on History Channel LOL).

I think asking his pediatrician for help, based on your kiddo's personality and behavior, is the best bet. They can either give you good solid advice, recommend a book or class, or give you a referral to another professional.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 5:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2009