It's okay to use a heating pad, right?

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and finally bought a heating pad for my back because it hurts ALL the time bc I sit at a computer all day at work and the chair is very uncomfortable (even shanged chairs 4 times and tried a pillow).
I brought my heating pad to work today and a girl I work with tried to argue and say that you're not supposed to use them while your pregnant and her Dr advised her not to but wouldn't give me an exact reason as to why I'm not supposed to?
I dont see any reason why I wouldn't be able too and I've actually had people tel me to use one to help with my back pain.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope, could overheat your body temp and over heat the baby...just like getting into a sauna or a hot tub for an extended period of time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• A heating pad is fine... They don't want you to use anything that raises your core temperature (like saunas and hot tubs), but a heating pad is only applied to a specific area, and therefore doesn't raise your entire body's core temperature. Just don't leave it on too long.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Russell Turk, obstetrician

Using a heating pad while you're pregnant is safe. When applied to a specific area of the body, a heating pad can provide relief without raising your core body temperature.

If your core temperature gets elevated early on in pregnancy, it can increase the risk of neural tube defects such as spina bifida. This is why women are advised to avoid hot tubs and saunas while pregnant.

Pain can be a sign of potentially serious complications, such as a detached placenta or a uterine rupture, so alert your doctor if your pain is not obviously from overexertion.

http://www.babycenter.com
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Plus most heating pads now have automatic cut offs that don't let it get too hot or stay hot for too long. That's why I tend to use a hot water bottle, it gets hotter and stays hotter (I'm not pregnant). But yeah, it only warms up a certain area of your body, it's not affecting your core temp so it should be fine. But maybe check with your Dr so you can tell your co-worker your Dr okayed it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No your dr will tell you that.
    Anonymous

• I used on all the time. I had bad lower back pains to the point I couldn't stand and I have to miss work for a week at one point. When I called my doctor she just said to make sure the heating pad is covered good with an extra layer than normal if using it on high heat. You're always going to have that one person in the world that does it differantly. Don't sweat it. A heating pad is fine.
    mommy514

Answer by mommy514 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's fine!! Just don't use it longer than 20 minutes at a time and not on a hot setting.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 6:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's fine.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• heard no cold or hot paks
    mandie_jean

Answer by mandie_jean at 8:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• i did i was in the same boat at that time and i would put it under my blanket and lay on that. I'm 38 weeks and still going strong. Just don't leave it on for too long.
    maris1192

Answer by maris1192 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2009