^Christians^In reality, Christians, haven't you been told you are going to hell?

A spin off question that got me thinking. I remember listening to a sermon about living for Jesus. We were told we have to believe and do his work if not, and I quote the good man "you will go to a place that isn't very cool"

I have heard several of these types of comments and sermons before. In the end, don't you live by the same rules as non - Christians regarding what send you to hell?

If we (Christians) don't live by Jesus we are going to a hot bed and I have been told that many times in my life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i just asked my mom if shes ever been told that (shes christian) and she said yes, but only by nuns and priests...weird.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• OK so the "you are going to hell" speech isn't reserved just for non Christians.

Anonymous

• I haven't been told that by pastors I listen to. I believe that Jesus Christ is the only means of salvation. It is a person's faith in Christ's death and resurrection that saves them from hell and separation from God. That is it. That is all. So not being obedient will not send me to hell. The only thing that sends a person to hell is not believing in Christ.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I've never been told that by a priest or other religious person in our church, but I was told that by my uncle who was way too over zealous in talking about his beliefs. Actually I went to their youth group once (this was back when I was 16 or so) and all they talked about was how we would all go to hell unless we changed our ways. Well this is a group of young Christians that were active in the church and in Bible studies, etc. Weren't they living good enough lives for God? Why all the threats of going to hell? I never understood that and it totally turned me off (not that I was going to convert to their church anyway). The youth group director had these kids so scared to death that a few had nightmares. We were shown a movie about going to hell and it was beyond scary. I'd rather focus on what we should do right in our lives to get to Heaven than all the things we can to wrong and end up in hell.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• People who say that do not understand His Love , Grace and Finished Work of the Cross.
    The only people that get sent there will be the ones who display unbelief in who He is.
    It will be the ones that never knew Him... yes this may include "christians" who walk in religion rather than relationship.
    In Matthew 7:17-24 it says the following which I will put in the next post as it is long...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• "So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. "So then, you will know them by their fruits. "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, I know what you are saying, OP and I have heard that before. Again, it is a matter of the heart and what motivates you. I think it's possible for someone to be saved and then live a life unpleasing to God to go to Heaven....but I also think someone can say they've been saved when they never truly experienced it. I do think that once you've genuinely been saved it is a gift that can't be returned. Having said that I think someone who has genuinely experienced it does strive to please God. God knows the demons we face even when we are unaware that they are there whispering in our ears. I think satans favorite pastime is robbing people of the joy of their salvation and leading them astray....anyway...I ramble now.....if you want to pick my brain PM me.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009