Racism alive and well??

Am I a racist? I chose not to date anyone outside my race. I have good friends that are of a different race, but I chose to marry within my race. I don't care if people date someone of a different race, but I would rather my daughter date and marry within our race. I don't care of people "mix the races", it's just not something I'd wish for my family.

Does that make me a racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think you are racist. When I met DH I actually made some of my decisions on having a child with him based on his medical history. I don't want a child to be prone to a disease. Luckily we're both healthy people and neither of our families have any history of illnesses that are usually passed on through genes, all of the illnesses in our families are based on lifestyle (grandfather had heart problems b/c he smoked and ate everything smothered in grease). Some races are prone to diseases that are passed on from generation to generation. I think its kind of the same situation, you don't want your children or grandchildren to have "social" problems because of being a mixed race, because even though I don't think you are racist, there are many people in this country and around the world who are racist and make it a point to make someone else life a living hell if they can.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY!

Ah I'm effin with you, not in my eyes! I think someone here will though, and I will apologize before hand for ignorant people who will say hateful things to you.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• What do you find bad about marrying outside your race, or dating? Why do the color of their skin make such a different? This is the defenition of a racist: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
    Is this how you feel? If so you are a racist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer by older at 6:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Some people just aren't attracted to people of other races. It has nothing to do with racism (some times). I don't assume that black people that marry black people and want their kids to marry black people are racist. Sometimes, it's just a preference.

I do have to say though, I just want my kids to be loved and love someone else with everything they are, and to have that love returned to them. If that love happens to come from someone that doesn't look like the rest of us, then so be it.
    Anonymous

• Yes. You are racist. Anyone who feels the the way YOU do (i.e. different then the what the majority thinks and believes regarding race) is racist. You arent allowed to have YOUR FEELINGS if they in any way, shape or form, hurt SOMEONE ELSES feelings. As long as you arent denying someone a job OR a house OR hurting them....I think you are entitled to your OPINIONS. I am flabbergasted at this notion that if you dont agree with people (usually the far left) you are a hateful ignorant horrible person, but if THEY dont agree with you on say, your religious beliefs, they are enlightened and ::sarcasm:: tolerant.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No, it don't make you racist just because you don't want to marry a different race. There is far more people against it than for it. In my opinion, it don't look nice.
    Anonymous

• None of that matters. All that matters is if you voted for Obama. If you didn't, you're a racist.
    Anonymous

• I bet all of you assumed the poster is white didn't you? Who is the racist - those that immediately assume the anon poster is white are the racist!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• anon :26 You are an idiot!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• OP Here. I did NOT vote for Obama, because our MORAL PRINCIPLES differ. But that's beside the point.
    Anonymous