What are the essentials on your grocery list?

The "must haves" for grocery shopping... Help a new cook out!
Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You need to plan your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. If you don't know what you will be cooking, how do you know what to buy? And it really sucks when you are cooking dinner and realize that you are missing a key ingredient. Don't you hate wasting time trying to decide what to make for dinner, when you want to eat now? Send me a message offlist if you would like recipes.
    Here are some of the groceries we seem to buy the most often: eggs, whole wheat tortillas, dried beans and lentils, whole wheat pastas, lettuce, carrots, jicama, frozen blueberries, banana, kiwi, zucchini, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, ricotta, tofu, whole wheat pastry flour, tomatoes, peanut butter, whole grain bread, avocados, coffee, teas, oatmeal, dried cranberries, apples, oranges grapefruit, cantaloupe, limes, frozen chopped spinach, frozen broccoli, frozen cauliflower, chili powder, garlic, ginger, cumin, soy sauce, Uptons faux sausages, butter,

Answer by rkoloms at 1:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Milk, eggs, bread. My mom always told me that because if you were ever out of anything else you could always have eggs and toast for dinner. :)

What helps me is I make a menu for the week. Sun.-Sat. and get all the stuff to make it and then some just in case plans change. Hope this helps!
    mommy514

Answer by mommy514 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• slimfast
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• http://images.thenest.com/pdfs/dinner/Checklist%20grocery%20shopping.pdf

You will have to copy and paste but it's a printable list of essentials.
    Hope this helped!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• milk, eggs, bread, margarine, ground beef. are on the top of my list.

and toilet paper....we go through a LOT of toilet paper. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Do you have kids? I have three so I always buy tortillas, cheese (all kinds!), cereal or oatmeal, lunchmeat, 3 gallons of milk, fresh fruit on sale, yogurt. These things I dont bother to write on the list because I get them constantly.

But for cooking I usually make sure I have minced garlic in the jar, onions, worcestershire (sp?) sauce, pasta and sauce, cream cheese, all kinds of canned tomato products, and paremesean cheese, croutons, spices.

I have a million recipes on index cards. I pull them out every week and put those ingredients on the list. Hope I helped you out and you are not asleep reading my long post!

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I agree with you mommy514... that's the best solution is to make a menu for the week and some extra thing just in case it helps....

Or you can buy hamburger helper and just buy the ground beef and chicken salad and for dessert maybe some pudding with some cherry on top or if you don't have cherry maybe some whipcream on top with a tangerine.

Hopefully that's help if you need some reciepts just let me know you know where to find me...
    hugs...
    margodod

Answer by margodod at 6:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My essentials:

Whole grain/wheat bread (at the bakery, none of the processed, twist-tie variety)
    Yogurt
    Tomatoes
    Carrots
    Apples
    Bananas
    Whole grain/nut granola cereal
    Coffee
    Tea
    Milk
    Eggs
    Pasta
    Mushrooms
    Chicken breasts
    Chocolate

That's pretty much all I eat. Not really into processed foods.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:04 AM on Oct. 21, 2009