Question about cooking dried black beans

I've always heard that making dried black beans taste so much better than using canned, so I tried it today and it tasted so blah! I followed the directions on the package (soaked overnight, cooked for 90 minutes) but there was just no flavor. I can't believe that this is how it's supposed to taste. If you use dried black beans, do you just cook it in water or add other seasonings? Is so which ones??

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 6:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• They are very blah compared to canned because canned are so overloaded with sodium! It's so much healthier to make your own, you just have to season them, lol! Salt (just not as much as is in the canned ones!), cooking them in broth instead of water, adding chopped veggies (onions, peppers, celery, carrots, etc), there's a lot you can do to make them taste better. Experiment, you can hardly go wrong with them!
    Anonymous

• I cook my for the first 2-3 hours with chopped onion and garlic, cumin and olive oil. Once they are completely soft, I add a little sea salt.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I cook mine in my slow cooker with onion, dried chile peppers and garlic. After they're cooked I add sea salt.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009