My stepson just told me that he doesn't want to spend Christmas with his mother this year because it won't be any fun

He thinks it won't be any fun because he won't get any cool toys. Where the hell did we go wrong? He is 8, has been with my husband and I since he was about 4 months old and has only know his mom for about 4 years. But we have since worked really hard on fostering a decent relationship. I could understand and support his ideas if it was because he felt like he should be with us. Or if he wasn't comfortable enough yet to be there for a major holiday. But no, because he doesn't think he will get good presents. What just happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• You prob just gave better toys. Id talk to him about the importance of giving and poss take him to a shelter so he can see how good he has it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Nothing just happened. he's being an 8yr old! lol
    It takes a LOT of work to teach a child that Christmas is not about presents.

Do you have the time to take him volunteering?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Its something i feel every fortunate kid should do. Many of us grow up hearing about this side but not experiencing it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• You did not do anything wrong he's just being an 8 year old kid. I am sure there are very few children who would not say the same thing.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2009