How can I season brown rice so it's not so bland?

I'm serving brown rice, Italian sausages and a salad for dinner tonight, but I have never seasoned the rice before. My family never ate rice growing up, so I have no idea if I can just add spices to it or if I need to do something special. How do you season your rice so it tastes good?

Asked by Ati_13 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I would add a little butter and some sauteed garlic. Maybe some parsley if you have it.

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• natures seasoning and mrs dash

Answer by cassie_m at 6:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Add what you like. I use a pat of butter and fresh cracked pepper on our rice. You can also substitute some or all of the water you cook your rice in to flavor it like chicken broth or orange, cranberry, lemon, or lime juice.

Answer by vbruno at 6:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• A bit of garlic, a little salt.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Cook it in chicken broth - canned or homemade. That right there does a lot. My kids favorite though is cooked with water, and some butter, cinnamon, and a sprinkle of brown sugar on top.

• You can cook it in vegetable broth instead of water.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:45 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• cook with chicken stock & 1 tbsp. of Teriyaki sauce ( I like Soy Vay). Wouldn't recommend this with an italian dish though.

Answer by lovemydivas at 4:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2009