Can a baby grow out of a lactose intolerance?

My baby is lactose intolerant and I was wondering if he'll grow out of it?

pinkcanary

Asked by pinkcanary at 6:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its possible. My dd could only drink soy as a baby but now drinks whole milk and shes fine. Its one of those things that you may grow out of or may not
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It is highly unlikely that your baby is actually LACTOSE intolerant. Congenital lactose intolerance is extremely rare. Doctors say that babies are lactose intolerant when they have a dairy sensitivity because they don't want to explain the difference. Even breastmilk has lactose in it, the problem usually arises with formula feeding or with the consumption (by the mother or the baby) of a lot of dairy products. The issue is that dairy has proteins in it that are built for baby cows and are too big for little human babies to handle, so it wreaks havoc on their digestive systems.

Most children do outgrow it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• yea
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• yes, my son did but not until he was around 2 i think. my hubby however is still lactose intolerant, so i guess you will have to wait and see
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yep, I had 3 babies who did, and also some of hubby's nephews. Not all kids do, and like someone else said it's not necessarily lactose intolerance, but yes, most of them do.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is lactose intolerant. She may outgrow it, she may not. I am lactose intolerant also. I have been since birth...28 years later, still lactose intolereant (not a sensitivity to dairy).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009