do your kids share a room? Need help please

My kids are 3 and 4 3/4 and will be sharing a room for the 1st time EVER while we do some moving around of things, home projects, etc getting their "formal playroom" prettied up. (in a 1920's home that needs an Ungodly amt of TLC) This is temporary til late January or so.
Last night was 1st night. Bedtime went normal and I gave them a full hour to be silly, giggle, throw pillows, get in/out of each others beds a million times, etc. I always try and see things from their perspective and I figured it would feel like a sleepover to them. An hour turned into 4 and by 1am my son was in tears that his sister wouldn't let him sleep... and she ended up on a sleeping bag in the den on the floor alone since her bed is too big to easily move. Both kids woke up at their normal times sadly, exhausted and crabby ALL DAY. Trying again tonight (no choice!) tips and advice please on how to make them respect sleep time?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is no "window". lol Life is about being able to adjust, it's these little things that help with the big ones. :o)
    Stay consistent. Bedtime is NOT playtime. Keep putting them back in their beds, until they figure out that it's not time for fun and mommy is serious. My SIL had this issue and I sat outside her kids' door for two hours for three days until they (and my SIL) finally figured it out. I wouldn't say much, but I wasn't mean or upset either.
    Anonymous

• Either you have to let the new-ness wear off and hope that this will pass quickly, or you need to set some rules. My children (4.5y and almost 2y) share their room and both know that they are not allowed out of their beds and must be quiet. It will be a pain to inforce at first, but mine both generally get a good nights sleep.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• What did your daughter think of sleeping on the floor of the den? Did she hate it or was it okay with her?
    Maybe just let her continue like that until she complains.

When it grows old, tell her unless she cooperates and settles down at bedtime, she will continue to sleep in the den. Let her choose: cooperate and sleep in her bed/act up and sleep on the floor.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• well at their ages it is probably best to just be consistant and physically put them back in their beds each time they get up. dont allow them to be up during sleep time. and maybe instead of an hour to play before bed give them 40 minutes to play and 20 minutes to relax and listen to a story or two,also a massage with some lotion is a great way to calm restless kids as well as babies.

"CHILDREN NEED THE MOST LOVE WHEN THEY SEEM THE MOST UNLOVABLE"
    Anonymous

• Don't let them play when it's bedtime. Bedtime is bedtime no matter where they are sleeping, or with whom they are sharing a room. Stick to their normal routines and that's it. If they start talking, go in and tell them to be quiet that it's time for sleeping. If they start throwing stuff (a big no-no in our house to throw anything) go in and tell them to knock it off and go to sleep. IF that doesn't work, start taking the stuff away. when they have no bed friends and pillows, they'll get it.
    Anonymous

• Can you stagger their bedtimes so that the child who goes to bed first is asleep by the time the second goes to bed? My older two shared a room and we had the younger go to be an hour before the older.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Find a routine and stick to it, they will adjust.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• we considered staggering the bedtimes. that terrifies me.... wont one wake the other up when they come into the room? open the door, creak across the old hardwood floor, flop into bed cough and sneeze and make a million gross toddler noises, etc.....

I am worried (yes, this is only night two though!) that it's a thing with a "window".... and I missed it. If your kids don't co room from a early age/infancy it'll never happen later.

Sheesh what happens when we have a 3rd kid?????? (we only have a 3 bedroom)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Well I have twins so they have co-roomed since the womb, lol, but when I send them to bed and want them to go to bed I tell them they both have to be quiet and go to sleep.....that said I know they are going to quietly talk for 30 min - an hour, trying not to get caught by me. They are usually asleep then when they are supposed to be. It's like when you tell them to whisper and it gets louder and louder and when you tell them to not speak, they whisper. The gettin in and out of bed thing is just because of age and you'll just have to keep reinforcing that and putting them back. GL!
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 8:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• They will adjust and be fine! I would not be surprised if they fell asleep quickly tonight after getting so little sleep last night....You just need to be really consistent with them: NO getting out of bed, NO throwing anything (or it gets removed from the bedroom immediately), NO yelling, screaming or loud giggling. Let them talk for 20-30 minutes and then continue to remind them that it is bed time and they need to be quiet.
    You might need to lie on the floor for a few minutes and shhh them every time they try to talk for the first (second) night. Some quiet classical music, or a small fan, might help them to settle down and drown out each others sounds also.
    Good Luck Momma!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2009