my babysitter

My husband and I told the babysitter (17 yr old neighbor) we were going to his office and and picking up his car and then we'd be right back and we needed her to watch our 5 month old while I went to the gym and my husband worked on his project car. Well when we got back from the office she was sitting in the recliner watching TV and eating dinner while the baby lay on the floor crying. What would you do? How would you feel?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd totally fire her. And I would tell her exactly why and that it was unacceptable. I would be FURIOUS. I would tell her mother too.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Teenagers at that age aren't really into the job as much as they are into the money. Fire her and explain to her that what you saw was completely unacceptable.
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• there is a fiiiiiiiiiiiiine line w/ babysitters and age. There's an age when they're simply too young.
    And then too old.... which yours is. Money hungry, lazy, etc. And then there is the perfect sweet spot age. They're inspired, appreciative for the trust and responsibility and enthusiastic about the work.

You need to find one without shopping habits, cell phone bills, looming car payments, etc

Call your local YMCA or school district or red cross. You wanna snag the sitters as they graduate from those babysitting classes. They're the ones who'll be crawling on the floor with your baby and you come home to your dishes washed and polished..... not what you came home to tonight
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would fire her too. Definitely wouldnt use her in the future... probably give her a piece of my mind while I was at it.
    Ng.Oddity

Answer by Ng.Oddity at 7:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• well was the baby hungry, wet, hurt, or was he just crying to be crying? i have a five month old and sometimes that is what she needs to do. when nothing will calm her crying....and i mean nothing i will put her down and let her cry for a few minutes and then try to console her again in a few. was she actually being neglectful or just taking a break from an inconsolable baby? if she was being neglectful fire her, if the latter give her a chance just talk to her about putting him in a better place like his bed or a seat.
    Anonymous

• What was her reason for the situation? Did you ask or just jump to a conclusion that she was being neglectful?
    Anonymous

• I started babysitting when i was 10-11yrs old.That was like 1992-1993. At that age, friends of my mom would bring there kids over for me to watch while she was at work(1 kid at a time). I had to do everything for the child, but there was always someone else there in the house. I babysat until fall 2004, than I started a job at a day care, working in the infant room.
    Why was this babysitter just letting the baby cry, and not trying to console the baby. Take care of the babys needs then your own.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I'm not bashing, but I am totally amazed that you left your 5 month old with a 17 year old. I'm pregnant with my 4th child and wouldn't leave an infant with someone that young.

I would be very upset that my baby was laying on the floor crying while the little snot sat in a recliner and ate. I'm paying for child care not to feed someone else's teenager. (And I would be pissed that she was eating in my living room on my furniture rather than at the kitchen table, but that's another matter).

I would let her know why I was upset with her "service" and that I would not be using her again in the future.
    Anonymous

• oh yes i would be definitly pissed off.andnext time you look for a babysitter id go for one that actually has kids and is responsible.obviously she is not a good babysitter. never leave your baby with her again. teens usually dont make the best of baby sitters.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Anon 9:49, I graduated from high school at 17, and became a full time nanny to TWO kids at that age. A newborn, and a five year old. 17 is perfectly old enough to watch a five month old. I was one of the most "in demand" sitters in three cities at that age! I was more than capable of watching a child that young at an even younger age than 17! And as for "feeding someone else's teenager," Most of the families I sat for had food set aside for me, or told me to help myself! BUT, I would talk to the sitter about what happened, and gain some perspective (I guess see if there was ANY justification for the babe lying on the floor while she ate.) And if not, definitely let her go.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2009