How can I get my 3 year old son to go to bed at night when he is a night owl and also a Mamma's boy and won't go to sleep himself???

He is very active too. He either acts up and won't settle down and won't stay in the bed or he cries for a long time when I try to get him to go to bed sooner or by himself.

judishere

Asked by judishere at 7:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like our boys could be bedtime twins, lol... I'm actually having that battle as I write. Consistancy is all I can offer. I always try to start my son's bedtime at 8pm, taking a bath and brushing his teeth. I'm in school and I work so this doesn't always happen but I make a good effort to stick with the same routine. At 9pm he lays down in his bed with a movie, and gets 1 chance to lay there quietly. Most nights he gets up and asks for water, or says he has to pee, then is reminded the next time he's up the movie is off and i'm shutting his door, something that scares the crap out of him. If he falls asleep watching the movie (RARELY) I just turn it off when I go to bed. If he gets up a second time (Most nights) I walk him back to his room, turn off the movie without saying a word, walk out and shut the door. Usually screaming takes place and I keep his door shut until he calms down. When he does I immediately...cont
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• open it and say you have one more chance, mommy will leave the door open if you stay in your room. If he gets up again I shut the door, which locks from the outside, and I lock it so he can't open it. I then let him throw his tantrum and usually at this time is when he finally goes to sleep. If he stays in his room with the door open after round 1 i just leave it open. This may not work for your son but you just need to find something that does and be consistent. And sleeping with you shouldn't be the answer. My son often comes into my room at night from a bad dream, which is fine, but he ALWAYS starts out in his bed, and he knows that. Set up a routine, give plenty of time to transition into sleep time, and be consistent. Eventually these three things will pay off. Good luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Thank you so much for answering.
    judishere

Answer by judishere at 9:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2009