sex talk

What age were your kids when you talked about sex? What did you say? What do you plan on saying?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DD is only a year old but we're already going over correct terms for her private parts. I plan on making the "sex talk" an ongoing conversation from birth.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• my son will be 5 in three weeks. We're SO not ready yet..... I am ashamed to say we've barely covered private parts. I am very modest, nervous.

I plan winging it, really... and letting him lead the conversations a lot.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My dd is 2 and from 3mths i tell her how special she is and how special her body is. I know that may not be enough but for now I really wanna focus on self esteem. I really believe that thats where it starts
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• We had more of the beginnings of the sex conversation (as I don't believe it's just 1 talk) with my twins last year in 5th grade when they brought deoderant home. They had to go through this thing where they learn what happens to them in puberty. It was a great segway. My poor kids have all kinds of info (nothing too graphic or not age -appropriate) and explained to them what happened to the girls and about pregnancy. They asked questions, I answered and gave them a lil more info as well. We also briefed the respect issue between girls and boys. It was a great beginning to future conbersations or questions as they come up.
    AddyLeigh

Answer by AddyLeigh at 7:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• This is definitely a series of conversations that start practically at birth by teaching children the proper names for body parts and their functions.

Keep on the lookout for teachable moments: such as when you have your period, a neighbor's pet has puppies, a relative is pregnant, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2009