For homeschooling moms *pioc*

*I posted this in another category, sorry for the duplicate*

Any recommendations for Kindergarten curriculum? What did/do you use? Anything that makes it easy to follow would be great. Im new to HS so I need something that has some structure for me to follow, atleast at first. Thank you in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in

• there is a homeschooling group on here called "happy homeschoolers". My kids are too little right now but from other homeschooling moms I've talked to didn't buy official curriculum at that age. Also there are some lesson plans you can do online as well :) I hope that helps :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I've been going through the "What your kindergartener needs to know" book and working on reading using the "Bob Book" series with my son. My goals for kindergarten with him are primarily reading and writing. I plan on more formal coursework starting with first grade. To me, this year is more for establishing the "school time" habit and laying the very basic foundation of literacy.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 7:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Thanks to you both. I am in that group. I love it! Im more of a lurker since Im new to it. My dd is an a virtual acadmey now, but Im not going that route with my younger 2.

Right now my 2 yr old and 4 yr old are homeschooling pre-k so the habits are there, but next year they will do 4 days instead of 3 and I guess I just need some ideas on tools, games etc that really helped.. Im still in the 'overwhelming' stage. lol. Pre-k I have no problem with, but for some reason K overwhelms me just thinking about it. lol
    Anonymous

• zingo is great, bingo for little kids with both words and pictures. labeling things around your house with sticky notes is a great way to reinforce reading, too, when combined with phonics studies.
    any game where you roll die to move is good in teaching one-to-one correspondence. a set of oversized stringing beads in various colors and shapes can teach both sorting and patterning, pre-math skills.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• hmm I was home schooled. It was a different set up though. My Mom taught me but we had an appt every 2 weeks with a teacher who gave us curriculum. I also had the advantage of the Home School office's student library and I could even take my tests there. There were a lot of options as far as if my Mom had to work late or something one day I could still get help there, and they gave us all the resources needed
    Anonymous

• I use Calvert, it's really great. Go to www.Calvertschool.org and they'll send you a free sampler book to show you what you need to know. If you need more info pm me!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• There is a ton of free stuff on the web, but I am more comfortable starting w/a boxed set until I gain a little more confidence. I have been doing a mish mash of Pre-K stuff and I love doing that, but right now it's just play (even though he's really learning and really excited). I am looking at Five in a Row or Sonlight for K, although I haven't read great reviews about Sonlight, I am still quite impressed with the package. I think I will probably design my own curriculum eventually but I am more comfortable starting K with a boxed set. I haven't acutally purchased either of these sets, but I keep going back to these two.
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 9:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I used the fat Comprehensive Curriculum workbooks you can find at Sam's Club. That plus my library card! Five in a Row is also a great curriculum; I've used that also.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• We don't use a curriculum. Kindergarten is super easy to do with nothing more than a library card and an internet connection.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2009