will your (or did your) daughter goto a Purity Ball?

Mine is only three so I have many years to consider it. I am not religious whatsoever.... so it's not faith driven.

I am interested in the process, though... promising and pledging to her dad and a higher power she'll save her special thing for her special someone

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 7:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i did one as a teen. it is creepy! i didnt want to do it but my parents found out about it from a friend of mine. i wasnt forced to do it, but i didnt feel like having the conversation w/ them about why i didnt want to do it.

my dad & i are not close so i did the pledge with my mom...we were so busy trying not to crack up that we didnt even do it right. it meant nothing to me or them, it was all for show b/c their friends kid was doing it too. i didnt save myself for marriage but i didnt go around sleeping with every guy i thought looked good either. teaching responsibility & control is much more important than a silly ceremony that focuses too much on a woman's purity & very little on men's.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Nooo...never heard of that.
    Anonymous

• no. it's creepy. a woman's sexuality is not her father's, or her s/o's, possession.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Never heard of a purity ball. And I agree, it sounds kind of creepy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No, and honestly the whole walking down the aisle with your dad to pledge to remain a virgin kind of creeps me out. We will talking to the kids about abstinence and saving sex for a meaningful partner who they love, but we will also be talking about safe sex and no need to go to a ball with dad to pledge theri purity! Ultimately I hope they are sexually responsible and respect themselves and their partners, whether they choose to have sex or not.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I totally agree girls should keep themselves pure, and if my daughter really wanted too I'd probably let her go, but honestly all of the ones I have ever seen are quite creepy.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• No. The idea is creepy and I would NEVER want my kids to think they had to stay pure for me or their dad. WOW... And we wonder why so many kids now a day are nuts!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I really dislike this idea. It kind of speaks of something archaic, and what business is it of the fathers of his daughters virginity?! Gross.
    I think it puts WAY too much importance on the GIRLS virginity...and tells her that her entire worth is wound up in her virginity and what she can offer the wedding "bed" on the wedding night. What about the guys? Where is the importance put upon their genitals?! I don't understand this, and quite frankly it makes me a bit ill. I want my daughter to cherish her self worth for so many reasons....her virginity being one of the last things on the list.She is so much more than that...and can offer way more than that to anyone who meets her.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I guess I watch the duggars too much..... LOL. the look on josh and anna's face when they had their 1st kiss. and how proud the parents looked. I envy their parenting.... yeahhh it's all a little creepy but the outcome is so beautiful
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• honesty, the idea seems a little on the creepy side.. I mean, yes I would love for my DD to remain a virgin until she an adult and is respectful of herself when it comes to sex... but I don't need a ceremony or whatever for her to try to prove something to me about her sexuality. Besides.. when it comes to girls.. us MAMA's need to be the ones there for our daughters.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009