Any ideas for patching a hole in the side of a playpen?

My son started biting at a small hole in the mesh on the side of his playpen about a year ago and now it is large enough that he can actually crawl through it. I have tried sewing it together and putting a patch over the hole and sewing that but he just bit through the stitching and tore off the patch. I am afraid he is going to hang himself on the hole or something. Any ideas, any idea at all I am open to. Thanks!!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow...
    I think you have no choice but to replace the entire panel. Maybe use an old sheet to do it. Hard to get teeth into that! :)
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think its time for a new one. How old is your son. I think playpens are for napping not a babysitter!! lol he wants OUT!! If you use it alot and can't afford a new one just put that side against the wall.. hope this helps!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would throw it out. I don't think you can really trust any home repairs. If you really need something get a new playpen or gate. But never, ever do home repairs on baby products. There is just no way to be sure it's safe.

Would you BUY a playpen that had a home repair? Probably not. I think deep down you already know this though and were just hoping for an acceptable solution, which I understand. But if anything every happened, you'd never forgive yourself. Pitch it.

Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 7:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• If you decide to get another, try the consignment stores first. A lot of them have practically pristine playpens for cheap.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• this one was a gift, I personally would have never bought this brand because I have heard their products are sub-standard although pass all requirements. We cannot afford to buy another one right now, my SO lost his job a little over a week ago and we were living pay to pay then. I do not use it as a babysitter but he does spend alot of time in there. I know my son very well and he is a very independent child, he would rather be sitting in there playing with his toys by himself than playing with me. But he is constantly throwing out his toys than he tries climbing the hole to get them. Because of limited living space, he cannot be on the floor unsupervised for even a second. We have very steep and dangerous steps that he could fall down.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009