Got an interview tomorrow, how can I hide my pregnant belly?

I think I won't get a job if they know I am pregnant. I am 19 weeks, not too big. How can I hide my pregnant belly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They cannot discriminate against you for pregnancy; that would be a federal offense. Best you can probably do is wear something that's loose, yet still businesslike.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• what kind of job? SUPER casual?

hoodie.... apron, smock, lol..... A dress that sweeps away from your body.....

a coat light/casual enough you can leave it on ....

you know what you're doing is silly, right? they'll know soon enough. and then you wont have the job anymore!

And so you sneak past the interview with your tummy hidden. So what? Then you start next week.... how do u hide it then?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Op here: I know they cannot discrminate against me because I am pregnant but it doesn't mean that they won't.
    Anonymous

• of course they can't discriminate legally.... obviously. BUT if there's her and 1 other person applying of course they'll pick the other one. It's common business logic. They don't wanna hire and train someone who'll have to pick up and leave in another few months.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• if it's something fancy like a big business office they don't want to take on a new pregnant girl. Deal with pee breaks, OB appts, morning sickness, maybe having to pay maternity wages, 6 weeks+ gone, light duty, etc...

if it's something less formal like say flipping burgers , same thing. dont wanna hire someone who'll not be as fast on their feet, have a big tummy in the way, etc.

Logic, common sense..... the law is just words on a paper
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• op here: Well I don't know what to do because I need a job or I won't be able to take care of my son and myself. So should I hide my belly or not? I am not sure at this point.
    Anonymous

• What kids of job is it?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• Yes, hide it. I hid mine, I was fired on my second day because they noticed I was pregnant. I couldn't sue because of my circumstances but maybe you would be able too!

I wore a long jacket and had my resumes in a folder- I held the folder in front of me until I sat down.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I would just wear something loose fitting and not mention it at all! --- If they ask, (which they won't because at 19 weeks, maybe you are just a lttle heavy and they don't want to risk it) then you could be honest but assure them that you plan to take as little time off as possible and return after the baby is born. Promise them that you really need this job and you will do your absolute best to not let the pregnancy interfere with your job performance.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 8:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I think if you hide it you run the risk of getting fired for "lying" on your application - not sure if that applies exactly but you get the point of that's your intent is to decieve them; many places can let you go just for that alone...

I would personally keep applying and tell them your situation and what plan you have in mind as to maternaty leave and childcare etc...technically they can't ask you these things; however as higgingmom said they will find a way around that...

Good Luck
    Anonymous