I have been raising my stepdaughter since she was 10 mons old. She is 5 now and is completely out of control. she doesnt respect me or her father. she sees her mother once in a while and her mother tells her to be a bad girl when she gets back home. I have no idea what to do. Please help

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let her know who's boss. She has no choice but to respect you. Take things away, make her sit in time-out, do something. Don't just give in and let her get away with it. Also, be sure you're SHOWING respect to her when asking for respect in return :)

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I would go to a homeopathic doctor and get her tested for any nutritional deficiencies. She may need some nutrients as well as some homeopathic medicine for her behavior issues. I have a 6 yr old that was helped immensely by homeopathic medicine for her behavior issues. Eileen P.S.Juice Plus is a great whole food nutraceutical to try with the homeopathic medicine. My email is if you would like more info. Eileen

Answer by EileenMarie at 12:44 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• ReneeK3 has it right on the money if, but if you have been raising this child since 5 months and she only sees her mother occasionally, then who is to blame here? Does she have problems other times or just after mom visits, if that is the case then talk to the mother and tell her she needs to respect your needs or you can try to cut down visits,

Answer by momto1727 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Does she tell you that her mother tells her to be bad when she gets back home? How do you know that's being said?
    If so that's terrible.
    I'd ask her bio mom just what kind of person she wants her daughter to grow up like. I'd ask her if she's going to be the one to bail her out of all kinds of trouble when she gets older since she encourages bad behavior.

Answer by TarotMommy at 3:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Tell her she can act however whatever she wants with her mother, but she has to respect your rule when she comes home.

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2008