Has anyone ever known someone with H1N1?

HOw did they recover?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Health

• Yes- three of my friend's children have had it (confirmed via lab.) One recovered just fine within a few days at home. One ended up in hospital overnight because he has asthma and was having a hard time breathing. He was home the next day. And one ended up in hospital during the initial outbreak last spring because he got severe vomitting and diarrhea and got seriously dehydrated. He was on an IV drip for 24 hours and then sent home. I know some other 'potential' cases (ie. had flu symptoms while flu was circulating in the area) and none of them were sick enough to see a doctor or to have a blood test to confirm, so I'm not sure if they had H1N1 or just another virus. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I know a child who had it about 4 days (one vomit, 103 fever, horrible cough and breathing trouble). He was put on Tamiflu, prednisone and albuterol (he has asthma) and recovered fine but she went in right away with him. The breathing was the issue. Another girlfriend called today and has it. For her it took longer for onset. She got a sore throat, cough, chills, (thinks a fever but didn't check) and severe chest congestion. She's on Tamiflu.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2009