psalm 35-A Psalm of David. What do you think it means?

1Contend, O LORD, with those who (A)contend with me;
Fight against those who (B)fight against me.

I am reading this entire psalm. That is just a copy of the first verse. What do you make of it? I just found it at random by searching daily bible verse. psalm 34 came up but I plugged in 35 on accident.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Footnotes from the New American Bible:

1 [Psalm 35] A lament of a person betrayed by friends. The psalmist prays that the evildoers be publicly exposed as unjust (Psalm 35:1-8), and gives thanks in anticipation of vindication (Psalm 35:9-10). Old friends are the enemies (Psalm 35:11-16). May their punishment come quickly (Psalm 35:17-21)! The last part (Psalm 35:22-26) echoes the opening in praying for the destruction of the psalmist's persecutors. The psalm may appear vindictive, but one must keep in mind that the psalmist is praying for public redress now of a public injustice. There is at this time no belief in an afterlife in which justice will be redressed.

2 [1-6] The mixture of judicial, martial, and hunting images shows that the language is figurative. The actual injustice is false accusation of serious crimes (Psalm 35:11, 15, 20-21). The psalmist seeks lost honor through a trial before God.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't make anything of it by itself. It's always important to read all of the verses in context because the context helps determine the meaning. There isn't enough information from what you've stated to make any determination. Somewhere in there is the information about who these people are...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2009