how would i know if my son is hyper active??

jenny1214

Asked by jenny1214 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• There's lots of weighs to tell.

But PLEASE try to avoid any diagnosis until after age 5. ...too many children are over diagnosed these days. AND it might help to do some research on ADD/ADHD and other learning and behavioral disorders as well.
    I thought something was different about my older son. I thought it might be ADD/ADHD, but now after more research i've decided to get him evaluated for SPD: sensory processing disorder.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It would depend on how old your son is and what his behaviors are. As the pp said, ADHD is over diagnosed, mostly I think because parents' expectations of their kids are just over the top these days. As an example....a 2, 3, 4 or 5 y/o won't have a long attention span, will be bouncing all over creation and is usually impulsive in both speech & action, yet there are idiot parents out there thinking this behavior is "abnormal" and idiot doctors out there catering to these idiot parents and diagnosing 2 y/o's w/ADHD & medicating them! There is a reason the guidelines for diagnosis state "age-appropriate".

So, I ask again...How old is your child & what behaviors are prompting the question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• 1) There is a difference between a kid being hyperactive and having ADHD.

2) If your kid was hyperactive, you would KNOW.....it's one of those things you can't really describe, but when it hits you in the face, you KNOW it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2009

• All boys are!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009