What should I expect for my first pelvic exam?

I am pretty sure I will be at least 12 weeks pregnant by the time I go in for my pelvic exam next week. How accurate are Pelvic exams in determining pregnancy? I am nervous since I have actually never had one before and don't know what to expect.

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What do you mean by determining pregnancy?

Basically all they do is have you lay back, they insert a speculum (It's very cold at first) open you up and they use a big qtip to swab your cervix. It's uncomfortable but doesn't hurt. You will definately be nervous but try not to clench up down there or it will cause the speculum to dig into you and that will hurt. They may also press on your stomach while doing the internal exam which feels uncomfortable. ... It's been 5 years since I had mine done so I think that is all they do but I can't remember exactly. It's really not as bad as it seems.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• It's just like a normal pap, you've had one of those before haven't you? It's very fast, don't worry about it too much. Now that your pregnant, you'll get used to having a lot of people down in that area. Ask a lot of questions, it will make you feel more comfortable.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 9:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I have had a pap smear.
    What can the doctor tell about my pregnancy?
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I will answer ya, and honestly to. I have had several pelvic exams, they can be painful, but it varies from woman to woman. It is the whole feet in stirrups and the speculum. They will take a quick swab and look and then remove the speculum. That is usually the part that hurts. Then, depending on your Dr. they may insert a finger in the vagina and check your ovaries. Usually not painful, just awkward. That is usually all they do for the exam. If you are not sure when you conceived then they might do an internal sonogram. It is a tool, kinda looks like a dildo, lol, which they insert and you can see the baby that way. Then they can measure the baby and everything. Then they will talk to you about lifestyle, nutrition, stuff like that. It is usually the longest Dr. visit you will have. I can't remember much about mine, I tend to stress about the exam too. Just be relaxed and think about the baby. Feel free to ask and questions!
    psychmama

Answer by psychmama at 9:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I didn't know that they could tell or find out anything about the pregnancy itself from the physical exam. I have never heard anything like that. Let me google it.
    psychmama

Answer by psychmama at 9:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• I'm assuming you will be getting a pap smear done as well. It's not too big of a deal. Just a bit uncomfortable. You will undress from the waist down (or all the way if they are doing a breast exam, too) and cover up with some sort of blanket or medical robe. Then they will come in and get you to prop your feet up on the little foot holders that will be on the table. They will insert a speculum to hold you open while they do what they need to do (that's the uncomfy part). If you are getting a pap they will swipe your cervix with a little brush (no big deal...I can't even feel it). Then they will take the speculum out. At this point some doctors will put 2 gloved fingers inside to feel your womb to see if you are measuring the right number of weeks. And that's it. You'll be done. It doesn't take long at all. Be sure to let your doctor know it's your 1st one so they'll be extra gentle. =)
    Anonymous

• thank youyou have been very helpful psychmama

tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

• The doc can feel your uterus from outside and guesstamate on how big baby is and confirm you are pregnant. and everything will be fine and go in for normal visits unless something comes along that causes a high rish pregnancy. They don't go down there til the end after inital exam at least they didn't with me. Relax and it'll be fine.. Ask ALOT OF questions as to what they are doing and they should tell you..Then you'll get to hear your baby's hearbeat every month.. It's very cool!!!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009