Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

inducing at 42 weeks and 2 days what could be the risks?

So I would have LOVED to go naturally or induce around 40 weeks but doctor kept on waiting now I am getting induced which I am already past my due date and will be just 2 days past 42 weeks. the baby was estimated at 36 weeks to be 8 lbs already . I am getting nervous Iwill have complications now since being so far along and that I might have to have a c section. The non stress test or whatever it is they have you do once over your due date have been perfect and I have done it twice so far. I was 41 weeks with 1st and it went very smooth .

 
baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 9:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 15 (2,042 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I like the previous post, be ready for anything! I know how big your first one was, I wouldn't be surprised if number two was just as big! Hopefully she can make it through, but be prepared that you might end up with a c-section.
    If it makes you feel any better I've TWO friends that gave birth to big babies, seemingly way too big for their mama's tiny little bodies, but they did it! One was almost 10 pounds and one was almost 11 pounds! I'll pray for you and pray that she comes out sooner than Saturday. :) Either way you get to meet your little girl very soon!!!!
    bethany_smith

    Answer by bethany_smith at 9:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • there shouldn't be any risks unless baby is huge or gets stuck or breech.. going over two weeks shouldn't hurt anything.. GOOD LUCK WITH DELIVERY!!!!
    fireangel0310

    Answer by fireangel0310 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • I went this long and had to be induced at this point too. For me, the cervadyl (the method where they insert it like a tampon) was too strong too quickly so it was too dangerous to keep using. They went with the pitocin because they could adjust the levels. I was in the hospital for three days trying to get labor started and I just would not progress - having MAJOR contractions the entire time. After three days I finally gave in and had an epidural, at which point I dilated VERY quickly, pushed for four hours (no I am not exaggerating) and finally had to have an emergency c-section because after all that the baby was too big and not positioned properly for birth.

    Basically, be ready for anything. Make sure you know all the details about any interventions offered and don't be afraid to ask questions. I refused the vacuum and more pushing because I didn't want an episiotomy and still end up with a c-section anyway.
    beckcorc

    Answer by beckcorc at 9:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • Keep in mind that your estimated due date is no more than an educated guess.

    Worst case scenario with an induction is a c-section, with its attendant risks. But at this point it is your best bet.
    gdiamante

    Answer by gdiamante at 9:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • Weights can be very off - I was told my DD was going to be over 9 pounds and she weighed just 7 lbs 8 oz and we had ultrasounds all the time because I had gestational diabetes, so I wouldn't be too worried about size. They gave me cervadyl because my water had broken but I wasn't contracting (I was at 41 weeks) and it kicked in after a few hours but once I started pushing the contractions just stopped and they had to put me on pitocin after I was fully dilated, in total I pushed for over 2 1/2 hours!
    psugal

    Answer by psugal at 9:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • my son was late 1 week an six days with my daughter i had her vaginally with him i was 4cm dilated but they had to pitocin me up te get the contractions going i was induced at 41 weeks an 6 days an he was 9 in a half i made it 8 9 cm -0 position an byt then i was 5 hours into it my son started to get stressed wich ended up in a emergency c section sucked he was too big didnt fit so good luck
    ohmama213

    Answer by ohmama213 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

  • I was induced at 42 weeks... my babys leg was stuck in the umbilical cord so I had to get a c-section
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN